Customer conversion is one of the main goals for most businesses. With everyone having the same goal what can you do differently to stand out and get noticed? Two words.. Social Proof! And how is that achieved? Through testimonials.
According to Wikipedia Social proof is a psychological and social phenomenon wherein people copy the actions of others in an attempt to undertake behavior in a given situation. The term was coined by Robert Cialdini in his 1984 book Influence, and the concept is also known as informational social influence.
In layman’s terms it’s an unbiased, positive review of your product, service or business from a customer who has bought from you in the past.
Given that 91% of consumers research online before they make a purchase decision, customer testimonials are pretty important! I know I definitely fall into this statistic.
What are the benefits of of having customer testimonials on your website?
- Customer testimonials build trust
- Help you create an emotional connection
- Explains the benefits of your product or service
- Increases your credibility
- Shows who your customers are
How do you ask your customers for a testimonial
- Timing is everything – it’s much easier to ask a customer for a testimonial right after they have bought from you or used your service.
- Make it easy for your customers to provide a testimonial- perhaps draft a testimonial on their behalf for them to approve
- Or , send your customer a list of questions by asking the right questions you will get a better response.
Best spot for customer testimonials on your website
A website homepage gets the most hits so showcasing your testimonial up front and center is a good strategy. You can even add them to your products or services page, as a glowing testimonial can be that final nudge a customer needs to purchase from you.
Testimonials are powerful and even better they are FREE. If you are not currently asking your customers for testimonials it’s never too late to start.
It’s easy to set up, see our testimonial page here.